Thursday, October 26, 2017

The Classification Of Women's Bodies In Music Videos.

One of the more interesting topics of class tonight actually got cut short and I was so disappointed that it didn't get the adequate attention that it deserves. During one of the student presentations, a brief bit of rapper Yo Gotti's "Rake It Up" played. The segment featured Nicki Minaj as well as other women dressed provocatively and dancing to the music.



It was interesting looking at the reactions of the class when it came on. Some people turned away in disgust while others (mostly black people) bopped to the music and sang along - clearly not perturbed at see half naked women shaking their asses. I was one and of those not perturbed and found it strange that some would see things like this and say they are disgusting or demanding to women. After all, what's the difference between the above video image and this one from Taylor Swift's newest music video below?


For me, as a black woman, I think it all boils down to race. For generations, black women have had their bodies objectified. I think that, because I've seen this for my entire life, music videos full of half-naked black women dancing has never been anything for me to blink an eye at. Our bodies have always been on display for white people. I've had white men gawking at my full breasts for what feels like my entire life. This type of behavior dates back to slavery, when white men would force themselves upon (i.e. rape black women) and there was nothing we could do about it. This blog post sums it up accurately by saying that sexualization of the black female is a continuation of the slavery mindset. The blogger goes on to write:

"Sexuality was placed upon their bodies first by slave owners, then by the colonists and now popular media. Whereas before there was a legalized ownership of black bodies through the system of slavery, now the very notion of exploitation and ownership of these bodies is explained away."



While some might think it's strange that I wouldn't be appalled at watching Nikki Minaj twerk with a rake or of seeing rapper Cardi B wearing a bikini top and provocatively licking her lips, but honestly to me, it's always been the nature of the music industry beast. I'm not saying that it's right, per se, but it's a part of black culture that I don't think will be disappearing anytime soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment